Tuesday, February 8, 2011

5th Self Evaluation + self evaluation table + a lesson plan

Today I had my 5th self evaluation lesson. It went very smoothly as well as the previous one. Students were interested all of the time because were learning grammar. This lesson we learnt comparative and superlative forms of adjectives, comparative and superlative forms of adverbs and some irregular comparatives and superlatives. Well, I think we didn't learn this but we have repeated this because they already had to know this information from pre-intermediate classes. There were some errors which arose in the classroom while doing the exercises but i managed to explain what is wrong and correct the students. Also, this time I had to use the blackboard because I drew a table with adjectives and how they are made. I think it is much more helpful than theory in the book. All the lesson I was following my lesson plan because it was very useful. I knew what to do next. We did all the exercises I've planned to do in the classroom. I did not have any problems in managing the class because my students are calm and ready to work. I should say that the overall shape and balance of the lesson worked out as planned. Students didn't have any problems with my voice because it was clear and audible all of the time. I was very happy that the lesson went very well and exactly how I was expecting. All in all, I evaluated my teaching after the lesson and drew conclusions with my mentor.

5th Self-evaluation table

Rate the lesson according to the following scale:
1…………………2……………….3…………………..4…………………….5
Does not at                neutral                               Is a totally
all reflect                                                           accurate reflection
what went on                                                       of what
                                                                         went on
Personal qualities
  1. My voice was clearly audible to all the students all of the time   1 2 3 4 5
  2. I spoke at the right speed                   1 2 3 4 5
  3. I controlled the level of my own language  1 2 3 4 5
  4. I established and maintained a purposeful working atmosphere   1 2 3 4 5
  5. I developed positive relationships with students that result in             
students feeling safe and confident.        1 2 3 4 5

General shape of the lesson
  1. I identified clear objectives appropriate to the subject and the           
students                                1 2 3 4 5
  1. The overall shape and balance of the lesson worked out as            planned                                 1 2 3 4 5
  2. My lesson plan was very useful    1 2 3 4 5
  3. I followed the stages of my lesson plan   1 2 3 4 5
  4. There was variation in types of activities  1 2 3 4 5
  5.  I set tasks for whole class, individual and group work 1 2 3 4 5
  6. The time each activity took worked out as planed   1 2 3 4 5
  7. The pace of each segment was appropriate for the type                  
of activity       1 2 3 4 5

Materials, aids
  1. The materials were appropriate with regard to the age and level of the class
- in terms of their linguistic difficulty    1 2 3 4 5 
- in terms of their functional difficulty and use  1 2 3 4 5
  1. My blackboard was clear and well laid out          1 2 3 4 5
  2. My visual aids were necessary, clear and effective  1 2 3 4 5

Classroom management
  1. I did not have problems in managing the class   1 2 3 4 5
  2. I gave clear instructions and demonstrations     1 2 3 4 5
  3. The sitting position of the students was appropriate for the type
of the activity involved                           1 2 3 4 5
  1. The arrangement of groups and other students’ movement in the
class went on smoothly             1 2 3 4 5

Questions
  1. The questions were phrased correctly to get the answers I                wanted                               1 2 3 4 5
  2. The types of questions were varied          1 2 3 4 5
  3. The types of questions were graded from easy to understand to difficult                              1 2 3 4 5
  4. I distributed my questions among the students equally 1 2 3 4 5

Communication
  1. I gave the students an opportunity for genuine communication  1 2 3 4 5
  2. I ensured that the students take part in communication activities 1 2 3 4 5

Students’ response
  1. All the students were interested all of the time    1 2 3 4 5

Errors
  1. I coped effectively with the students’ errors which arose in the
class                                                                      1 2 3 4 5

Checking
  1. I paid enough attention to each student in the class   1 2 3 4 5
  2. I checked that every student had understood
the main teaching point                             1 2 3 4 5

Unexpected
  1. I coped well with everything unexpected         1 2 3 4 5

Summary
  1. I succeeded in achieving my aim                                    1 2 3 4 5
  2. The students gained much from the lesson                     1 2 3 4 5
  3. I evaluated my teaching critically and drew conclusions     1 2 3 4 5
        
                                      5th SELF EVALUATION LESSON PLAN

Student-teacher: Agnė Verikaitė
School: Vilniaus Viršuliškių Secondary school
Date: February 8, 2011
Time: 855 – 940
Form: 11c
Level: intermediate
Materials: Enterprise 4 Intermediate, Enterprise 4 Grammar
Topic: Comparative/ Superlative Forms of Adjectives/ Adverbs
Aims:  1) to remind and explain how comparative and superlative forms of adjectives and          
                adverbs are made
            2) to practice it while doing some exercises from the book and grammars

Time
Stages
ACTIVITY
Objectives
What if…?
Teacher
Student

8:55





 Introduction
(5min)

Greets the students, asks if someone else is coming to the lesson, checks the attendance and starts the lesson.


Greet the teacher and answer her questions.



To create a welcoming atmosphere.









9:00










Setting plan
  (2min)

Teacher explains what they are going to do today at the lesson, what they are going to learn. In other words, teacher presents her lesson plan to the students.

Students listen carefully to their teacher.

To raise their interest into the lesson.

To make them familiar with lesson plan and tasks which they will do today.  



9:02

Presentation
    (15min)

Teacher draws some tables and explains how comparative and superlative forms of adjectives and adverbs are made. She gives the basic rules and examples.


Students listen to the teacher and draw the table into their notebooks. Then if something is not clear they can ask and discuss with the teacher.

To remind them what they have learnt in their previous years.

To check their understanding of the topic.

If something is not clear try to explain in other words, give simple examples.

9:17








Practice
  (3min)




Teacher asks to open their books and look at the page 150 and exercise 2. They have to fill in the comparative and superlative form of each adjective.

Students answering one by one and trying to fill in the table. They can use their books, notebooks, grammars.


To practice what they have learnt.

To check whether they understand today’s topic.  





9:20












Practice
  (3min)












Teacher asks to look at the exercise 3 and again asks students to read it out loud one by one.

Students answering one by one. Also, they are translating the text into Lithuanian and giving the right answers.

To include every student into the lesson (reading one by one helps to do it).







If students don’t want to read the exercise out loud or they are not concerned, then they write the exercise into their notebooks.


9:23








Practice
  (2min)

Teacher asks to look at the last exercise 4 which they are going to do from these books today. Here they have to fill in THAN, OF, IN or THE.

Students read one by one the sentences and try to insert the missing words.

To check whether they understand how to make comparative and superlative forms.


9:25

Practice
  (14min)

Teacher asks to open their Grammar books at page 118. She says that they have to the whole page with exercises 1, 2, 3. Teacher says to do the first exercise individually and the read out loud. She asks to do the same with all 3 exercises because they are the same.  

Students write down the answers into their Grammar books. They can use all material they have because it is not a test.

To encourage students to work individually.

To encourage students to use an extra material.

To check their understanding of the topic.

If students do not manage to do all the exercises at the classroom, they have to do them at home.

9:39


Setting HW
   (1min)

Teacher asks to do the exercise 4 on page 119 in their Grammar books and wishes a nice day.


Students write down the task in their notebooks.

To give students some practice at home.


2 comments:

  1. I just came across your blog and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here.Lesson Evaluation Form

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your evaluation It is very beneficial and I learnt from it
    thank
    all the best

    ReplyDelete