Thursday, February 3, 2011

3rd Self Evaluation + self evaluation table + a lesson plan

Today I had my 3rd self evaluative lesson and again it was great. Lesson started at 12:55. I think, it is not good to make English lesson the last lesson for my students. Because it was already their 6th lesson. Some of the students were already tired, silent and most of the time thought about going home. But I tried to engage them into studying process. Everything was okay with my voice, because everybody could hear me easily and my voice was audible all of the time. There were no problems in creating a friendly atmosphere, too. Students felt comfortable at my lesson. My lesson plan was very useful but there was some disbalance in the lesson because I couldn't manage to do all the exercises which I wanted to do with my students. Some exercises took more time that I've expected. On the other hand, it is good, because my students were able to understand those exercises very well. We discussed about them a lot. There was no need to use a blackboard, only from time to time I wrote some uknown words there. Also, I didn't have any problems in classroom management. Before each exercise I gave clear instructions and demonstrations. After the exercise I always asked wether they understood it. What else, I phrased the questions correctly because all the time I was getting the right answers which I was expecting to hear from my students. Even though my students were tired and sleepy at the last lesson, they still tried to answer my questions, to think and give some examples, ideas. I paid enough attention to each student, because usually we were making exercises where we had to read one by one. I like this technique because this way all students are working. I think students gained much from the lesson because there were lots of new words. I hope I've enhanced their vocabulary. All in all, I evaluated my teaching critically and drew conclusions.
3rd Self-evaluation table

Rate the lesson according to the following scale:
1…………………2……………….3…………………..4…………………….5
Does not at                neutral                                     Is a totally
all reflect                                                                 accurate reflection
what went on                                                             of what
                                                                                 went on
Personal qualities
  1. My voice was clearly audible to all the students all of the time   1 2 3 4 5
  2. I spoke at the right speed                   1 2 3 4 5
  3. I controlled the level of my own language  1 2 3 4 5
  4. I established and maintained a purposeful working atmosphere   1 2 3 4 5
  5. I developed positive relationships with students that result in             
students feeling safe and confident.        1 2 3 4 5

General shape of the lesson
  1. I identified clear objectives appropriate to the subject and the           
students                                1 2 3 4 5
  1. The overall shape and balance of the lesson worked out as            planned                                 1 2 3 4 5
  2. My lesson plan was very useful    1 2 3 4 5
  3. I followed the stages of my lesson plan   1 2 3 4 5
  4. There was variation in types of activities  1 2 3 4 5
  5.  I set tasks for whole class, individual and group work 1 2 3 4 5
  6. The time each activity took worked out as planed   1 2 3 4 5
  7. The pace of each segment was appropriate for the type                  
of activity       1 2 3 4 5

Materials, aids
  1. The materials were appropriate with regard to the age and level of the class
- in terms of their linguistic difficulty    1 2 3 4 5 
- in terms of their functional difficulty and use  1 2 3 4 5
  1. My blackboard was clear and well laid out          1 2 3 4 5
  2. My visual aids were necessary, clear and effective  1 2 3 4 5

Classroom management
  1. I did not have problems in managing the class   1 2 3 4 5
  2. I gave clear instructions and demonstrations     1 2 3 4 5
  3. The sitting position of the students was appropriate for the type
of the activity involved                           1 2 3 4 5
  1. The arrangement of groups and other students’ movement in the
class went on smoothly             1 2 3 4 5

Questions
  1. The questions were phrased correctly to get the answers I                wanted                               1 2 3 4 5
  2. The types of questions were varied          1 2 3 4 5
  3. The types of questions were graded from easy to understand to difficult                              1 2 3 4 5
  4. I distributed my questions among the students equally 1 2 3 4 5

Communication
  1. I gave the students an opportunity for genuine communication  1 2 3 4 5
  2. I ensured that the students take part in communication activities 1 2 3 4 5

Students’ response
  1. All the students were interested all of the time    1 2 3 4 5

Errors
  1. I coped effectively with the students’ errors which arose in the
class                                                                      1 2 3 4 5

Checking
  1. I paid enough attention to each student in the class   1 2 3 4 5
  2. I checked that every student had understood
the main teaching point                             1 2 3 4 5

Unexpected
  1. I coped well with everything unexpected         1 2 3 4 5

Summary
  1. I succeeded in achieving my aim                                    1 2 3 4 5
  2. The students gained much from the lesson                     1 2 3 4 5
  3. I evaluated my teaching critically and drew conclusions     1 2 3 4 5


                                                    3rd SELF EVALUATION LESSON PLAN

Student-teacher: Agnė Verikaitė
School: Vilniaus Viršuliškių Secondary school
Date: February 3, 2011
Time: 1255 – 1340
Form: 11c
Level: intermediate
Materials: Enterprise 4 Intermediate
Topic: Transport vocabulary
Aims:  1) to practice new transport vocabulary
            2) to develop students’ language (to develop their speaking skills)
            3) to enhance students’ vocabulary on a certain topic (“transport”)

Time
Stages
ACTIVITY
Objectives
What if…?
Teacher
Student

12:55




 Introduction
    (5min)



Greets students asks how are they. Also, asks if someone else is coming.


Greet their teacher and answer her questions.



To create a friendly atmosphere.







13:00













Setting HW
    (5min)












Because some of the students didn’t come to the last lesson, teacher reminds them what they have to do for the HW on Friday (they have to write a composition). Teacher again explains everything clearly, gives instructions and layout of the composition.


Students ask question if something is not clear and put down the task in their notebooks.

Some of the students already give their compositions to the teacher.





To make them not to forgot to write their HW.

To give freedom for their imagination.




If students won’t bring their compositions on Friday they will get a bad mark or minuses.






13:05











Setting plan
     (3min)










Teacher says what they will do today and explains their lesson plan. Then asks students to prepare and start working.






Students listen to their teacher carefully if something is not clear – they ask.








To raise their interest into the lesson.

To wake them up and create a working atmosphere.













13:08























Practice
  (15min)






















Teacher says to open page 146 where they will find vocabulary practice. Teacher explains every task and gives clear instructions how to do it.

Teacher says that they will do all the 6 exercises on this page.












 Students open their books and read the sentences in the exercises one by one. They are translating new words and whole sentences.

















To create a better group work.

To practice a new vocabulary on the “transport” topic.

To develop their reading skills in certain topic.

To check their knowledge while introducing new words.
If students keep on talking then teacher sets up individual tasks for a mark or pluses/minuses.

13:23





















Speaking
   (4min)




















Teacher asks some questions about transport. For example, What is good/bad about a taxi driver’s job? Would you like to work as a taxi driver? Why/Why not? etc.













Students try to answer her questions, give full answers with examples.


















To “wake up” students.

To change type of activity, because students might get bored of doing the same thing.

To develop their speaking skills in certain topic.


If students don’t do this speaking task, then they have to write the answers on a sheet of paper and give to the teacher who will write a mark for them or put pluses/minuses.









13:27

Practice
   (13min)

Teacher asks students to continue the exercises from page 147. This time they will be developing their language. Teacher asks meanings of the words. Introduces new vocabulary connected with “transport”.

Students open the page 147 and trying to guess the meaning of the words.

To enhance students’ vocabulary.

To check their level. Or to check how much do they know.

If they don’t know the word they have to put it down in their notebooks or vocabularies.

No comments:

Post a Comment