Monday, January 31, 2011

1st Self Evaluation + self evaluation table + a lesson plan

Today I had my first class which I would like to evaluate by myself. First of all, I think it is interesting to evaluate the very first lesson which I gave at my English teaching practice at school. Second, it was new experience for me (at least here in Lithuania), so I would like to start evaluating myself from the beginning.

To begin with, I wrote down a lesson plan where I planned every bit of the lesson. It was more or less an introductory lesson, where I introduced myself and students introduced themselves. Later on, we were working on a new topic: Transport. This lesson was an interesting one because first time I was sitting not at the back of the class. This time I was sitting at the front and I was the teacher. My supervisor was sitting at the back of the classroom and sometimes watching what I'm doing. It wasn't disturbing as I heard from the other colleagues of mine. I actually forgot that students' "real teacher" is at the classroom. My students were ready to learn even though sometimes they were making jokes. I think my voice was clearly audible to all the students because they were quiet and listening to me all the time. Sometimes I spoke a little bit too fast (while translating new words) but then I got used to the rythm and became a bit slower. My lesson plan was really useful because I knew where I have to do one task or another. I was following my lesson plan but as I said it was an introductory lesson so I couldn't know how long students are going to introduce themselves. It was a bit longer than I planned. But it didn't disturb the lesson itself, it was going quite smooth. We used Enterprise coursebook (4) for intermediate level students. In my opinion it's a good book for my students because they are not very good at English. However, the topic which we are talking about now is at 12th unit, so we are going to finish this book soon and we will start working from a new one (at least my teacher told me like this). Also, I wrote some useful words on the blackboard so that students would be able to remember these words more quickly. I actually didn't have any problems in managing the class because I gave them clear instructions of what we are going to do. None of the students were left silent when we were doing a speaking task. I involved everybody into the communication activity. There was nothing unexpected in the classroom and I think I succeeded in achieving my aim. At the end of the lesson teacher praised me and said that I was a good teacher. All in all, I evaluated my teaching critically and drew conclusions.

1st Self-evaluation table

Rate the lesson according to the following scale:
1…………………2……………….3…………………..4…………4.5………….5
Does not at                 neutral                                        Is a totally
all reflect                                                                    accurate reflection
what went on                                                               of what
                                                                                   went on
Personal qualities
  1. My voice was clearly audible to all the students all of the time     1 2 3 4 5
  2. I spoke at the right speed                                                           1 2 3 4 5
  3. I controlled the level of my own language                                    1 2 3 4 5
  4. I established and maintained a purposeful working atmosphere    1 2 3 4 5
  5. I developed positive relationships with students that result in             
students feeling safe and confident.                                            1 2 3 4 5

General shape of the lesson
  1. I identified clear objectives appropriate to the subject and the           students                                                                                     1 2 3 4 5
  1. The overall shape and balance of the lesson worked out as            planned                                                                                      1 2 3 4 5
  2. My lesson plan was very useful                                                   1 2 3 4 5
  3. I followed the stages of my lesson plan                                        1 2 3 4 5
  4. There was variation in types of activities                                      1 2 3 4 5
  5.  I set tasks for whole class, individual and group work                 1 2 3 4 5
  6. The time each activity took worked out as planed                        1 2 3 4 5
  7. The pace of each segment was appropriate for the type                  of activity                                                                                   1 2 3 4 5

Materials, aids
  1. The materials were appropriate with regard to the age and level of the class
- in terms of their linguistic difficulty                                           1 2 3 4
- in terms of their functional difficulty and use                            1 2 3 4 5
  1. My blackboard was clear and well laid out                                 1 2 3 4 5
  2. My visual aids were necessary, clear and effective                      1 2 3 4 5

Classroom management
  1. I did not have problems in managing the class                              1 2 3 4 5
  2. I gave clear instructions and demonstrations                                 1 2 3 4 5
  3. The sitting position of the students was appropriate for the typeof the activity involved                                                                 1 2 3 4 5
  1. The arrangement of groups and other students’ movement in theclass went on smoothly                                                               1 2 3 4 5

Questions
  1. The questions were phrased correctly to get the answers I                wanted                                                                                       1 2 3 4 5
  2. The types of questions were varied                                              1 2 3 4 5
  3. The types of questions were graded from easy to understand to difficult                                                                                        1 2 3 4 5
  4. I distributed my questions among the students equally                   1 2 3 4 5

Communication
  1. I gave the students an opportunity for genuine communication       1 2 3 4 5
  2. I ensured that the students take part in communication activities    1 2 3 4 5

Students’ response
  1. All the students were interested all of the time                               1 2 3 4 5

Errors
  1. I coped effectively with the students’ errors which arose in theclass                                                                                           1 2 3 4 5

Checking
  1. I paid enough attention to each student in the class                       1 2 3 4 5
  2. I checked that every student had understoodthe main teaching point                                                                1 2 3 4 5

Unexpected
  1. I coped well with everything unexpected                                      1 2 3 4 5

Summary
  1. I succeeded in achieving my aim                                                  1 2 3 4 5
  2. The students gained much from the lesson                                    1 2 3 4 5
  3. I evaluated my teaching critically and drew conclusions                1 2 3 4 5
                                                    
                                       1st SELF EVALUATION LESSON PLAN

Student-teacher: Agnė Verikaitė
School: Vilniaus Viršuliškių Secondary school
Date: January 31, 2011
Time: 1200 – 1245
Form: 11c                                                                                                             
Level: intermediate                                                                                                
Materials: Enterprise 4 Intermediate
Topic: Transport  
Aims:  1) to introduce myself and to get acquainted with students;          
            2) to make an introduction to the new topic “Transport”;
            3) to teach a vocabulary related with a new topic.

Time
Stages
ACTIVITY
Objectives
What if…?
Teacher
Student

12:00





 Introduction
(2min)

Greets the students, asks if someone else is coming to the lesson, checks attendance and starts the lesson.


Greet the teacher and answer her questions.



To create a welcoming atmosphere.









12:02











Warm-up       (15min)

Introduces herself and asks students to do the same.










Students introduce themselves, their names and hobbies.

To create a pleasant atmosphere and to look what is the level of each student.

If students are shy or cannot answer by themselves, teacher helps – asks questions, gives examples.

12:17








Checking HW
(10min)






Asks students one by one to answer their HW (their HW was to write a review about a book or a film and retell it).




Students answering one by one, others are listening to their classmates attentively.




To revise what is review writing and to develop learners’ skills to speak about their favourite books or films.


If students didn’t do their HW, they have to do it for the next lesson.


12:27





















Presentation
   (15min)




















Presents a new topic: transport. Asks some questions about means of transport:
1) What is your favourite means of transport? Why?
2) Which is the fastest means of transport? Which do you think is the safest?

Introduces new vocabulary. Asks students’ to write down the new words into their vocabularies or notebooks.




Students answering one by one.










Listening attentively and writing down the new words. If they don’t understand some words – ask the teacher.



To check the knowledge of the students, to raise their interest into a new topic.







To enhance learners’ vocabulary.








If students cannot answer, teacher helps them by asking more questions (maybe easier than previous).

If it is difficult to understand the words – repeat them again, till there will be no questions.

12:42

Setting-HW
   (3min)

Sets HW for the next lesson: to read the text “Worldwide Taxis” and translate into Lithuanian. Also, students who didn’t prepare their reviews – prepare for the next lesson.

Write down their HW.

To encourage students’ individual work at home and raise their interest at the new topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment